POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : surrealism... off topic? : Re: surrealism... off topic? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: surrealism... off topic?
From: Luke
Date: 12 Jul 2003 10:00:01
Message: <web.3f101313f2124eafc7b964be0@news.povray.org>
Doug Eichenberg wrote:
>That idea of  "a million and one definitions for surrealism" is an
>interesting point.  I think a lot of folks will think of names like Dali
>when surrealism is brought up... yet Dali's paintings are executed with
>almost draftsmanship-like precision... is that really something that
>demonstrates automatism?  On the other hand, look at Jackson Pollock... the
>paintings he was known for show almost no control or aesthetic concern
>whatsoever... and yet he is classified as an abstract expressionist.
>

>--
>Douglas C. Eichenberg
>dou### [at] nlsnet
>http://www.getinfo.net/douge

I've just read up on Dali's paranoid critical
method(http://www.dali-gallery.com/html/method.htm) - You're right that it
doesn't easily fit into Breton's definition, though IIRC (and it's a long
time since I learned this) Breton was a poet, and took some convincing that
surrealist painting was even possible. I'd imagine he'd have similar
reservations about surrealist raytracing.
....Ooh, I've just taken a look at your site. Those blobby things look very
much like what I'd been imagining might fit this brief (note just imagining
- "absence of reason" so far as to how it's acheived). Would you class them
as surrealist renderings, or renderings with a surreal feel? (surreal
feel-? looks like I'm a poet too:)

 Luke.